Friday, April 22, 2011

Robert Frost Sucks

When I was in high school, I had several favorite writers when it came to my English class.  I truly enjoyed the works of Pearl Buck and Henry David Thoreau.  I never was much for Shakespeare but I did enjoy The Merchant of Venice.  That was a great story.  I always enjoyed poetry and was especially fond of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken".  I enjoyed and was enthralled by the whole concept of the poem.  I was never one to follow the pack.
I liked being different and sometimes I was different just because I was, not because I tried. Sometimes being different was difficult.  I was shy and still am shy.  Sometimes I feel like I just see things or feel things differently than other people.  I am very old fashioned in so many ways and  I have always felt like an "old soul" even when I was a youngster.  I was never part of the "in crowd".  I never really wanted to part of that "in crowd" to be honest.  I was never giggly or silly or all into making some fashion statement or have the latest fad item of clothing.  I was always overweight and went through that awkward pimples, glasses and braces phase.  That was such a joy!  My friends were always the different people too and I never had a lot of friends.  I had a few friends that were loyal and just special individuals.  No one I associated with were divas or drama queens or cheerleaders or anything.  For example, my best friend in junior high school learned how to fly a plane and got her pilot's license at 15 years old.  She was something back then and continued on that path as an adult.
So when I thought about Robert Frost's poem, I always related to it.  I felt like I always took the less traveled path in life.  I rather liked it as I don't want to be like a cow that just follows the herd and runs off a cliff.  No!  Not me! 
As I grew up, I made some different choices. I didn't go to college to "get away and party" like so many young people do. Instead, I started working.  I had a high work ethic although a lot of people my own age didn't at all.  I became a mom at 19-years-old when my daughter was born while most of the girls I knew had no thoughts of anything more than their hair products or what was going on the coming Friday night.  I was much more serious than them.  And even in my shyness, I eventually started my own home-based business.  I was tired of office politics and lackadaisical work standards as that just wasn't me.  It took a risk and took control and it panned out. 
Then 13 years ago I took another risk that changed my whole life.  I realized that I was gay and embraced the fact of who I really was.  Talk about going down a less traveled path....I really did it.  I lost a lot in this process but I found myself and it's the best thing I ever did.  I am different and it is all good.
So for quite some time, I have been travelling down this less traveled path and in the process I have found my soul mate and myself.  It is a wonderful thing.
But, at the same time, I have realized that the less traveled path can be a royal pain!  The hardest part of this path isn't finding yourself it's about what you do as a profession in your life.  The less travelled path is for the dreamers.  I am one of them.  Dreamers have visions and magnificent plans in their brains that constantly go 'round and 'round.  Dreamers, I believe, are the people that make things happen and make things change.  The dreamers go out on the limb and risk it all.  Dreamers are never complacent about life.  Dreamers actually seek out that less travelled path and want to run down it even with the brambles and ruts.  It's a crazy thing to seek it out...the difficulties and the hardships.  But I am hoping that Robert Frost was right.  I am hoping that the road not taken is the right road.  A road where your blood, sweat and soul and all that you are as a person and all you have to give is worth the walk through the difficulties.  In my heart, I do believe it is worth it.  But if for any reason I am wrong...then I am going to say that Robert Frost sucks!
Until next time,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment